Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Wintertime Dryness

It's officially fall (or Autumn, depending on where you live) and although it doesn't feel like it in Texas, cold weather is approaching. This is both good and bad news for me; good because I love cold weather, and bad because I have dry skin. When I say dry, I mean really dry. If I'm not on top of my moisturization routine, it's not a good situation. When dealing with dryness, flakiness, and peeling, there are a few steps you can take to ensure moisturized skin. These are my go-to products for dry skin care:

This is my everyday moisturizer. I put it on before applying makeup and I use it at night after my skincare routine. A little goes a long way so I think it's priced fairly. I keep a travel-sized tube of this in my nightstand and I use the large pump for my everyday use. They make a different version that's a "gel" for other skin types. 



I rarely use this as a mask, but as a deep moisturizer. I apply a thin layer to my skin (in lieu of my regular moisturizer) and go to sleep. It's a little greasy so it wouldn't do well under makeup but its perfect overnight. When I was reading the reviews, a lot of users reported that they didn't like the smell, however, I don't mind it. It does have a clean/plastic smell to it but it isn't too strong so it doesn't bother me. I imagine if a thicker layer is applied as a mask, the smell would be stronger but I don't find the smell offensive. My skin drinks this up and it really helps moisturize my skin when I'm having a particularly dry day, or if I've just used a drying skincare product. 

I love LUSH products and this face mask is one of my all time favorites. It's made with oatmeal, bananas, and vanilla, so it smells amazing! It's fresh and all natural so it needs to be refrigerated and it has an expiration date. I take it out of the fridge for about 10 minutes before I apply it so it's easier to spread. I apply a generous layer and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes. Then, I use a warm cloth to remove it and follow up with moisturizer. It's just over $6 and lasts for several applications. 


This stuff means business. I use this on my lips when they're dry and cracked, my feet and any rough skin patches, and any severely dry areas on my face during winter. The smell is similar to Vicks, so it's not great but this moisturizer absorbs SO quickly that you won't even have time to be bothered by the smell. It's formulated specifically to absorb effectively into your skin and it definitely works. I keep a small tube in my nightstand to put on my lips before bed. When I've had this on all night, I wake up with super soft lips that have been totally restored. I also have the 2.5 oz. tub in my bathroom for feet, rough patches, cuticles, etc. It's perfect for anyone because it's non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and moisturizes deeply. I'm interested to try other products by Yu-Be. You can find this at Sephora. 


I usually run in the opposite direction of a toner. In my mind, a toner is an astringent and it usually dries my skin terribly. But, when I was in the LUSH store and tested out Breath of Fresh Air, I was hooked. It's a cross between a moisturizer primer and a refreshing spray. It contains rose and aloe, so it helps to soothe and moisturize skin. I spray this onto my face after cleansing, and immediately follow up with moisturizer while my skin is still damp. It's also nice in the summer, on a plane, or any other time you need a cool refresher. The huge bottle lasts forever and is reasonably priced. 


This is a body lotion in a spray bottle, that applies as a fine mist. Genius. You still have to rub it in, but it takes seconds and it's much more convenient than conventional lotion. I wasn't convinced that this could be moisturizing because it feels very thin and it's not at all greasy, but this moisturizes SO well that I can feel its effects for days after applying. I like the smell and my favorite part about it is that it disappears quickly with absolutely no greasy residue. You can apply this after a shower and hop right into bed without sticking to everything. The spray is continuous and it can be sprayed upside down, so it's convenient for the entire body.

Last, but not least: water. If you're dehydrated, you can bet your skin is, too. I can tell immediately when I'm dehydrated from my lips, and later, from my skin. It's important to drink plenty of water for many reasons, but dry skin is one of them. If you struggle with dry skin, try upping your water intake and see how your skin improves. 

I'm always trying moisturizing products, so leave your favorites below so I can try them, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment