Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Pamper Night


It's no secret that what we eat affects our skin. Around the holidays, we tend to put our healthier eating habits aside to enjoy all of our favorite holiday treats. Thanksgiving usually means consuming a more-than-normal amount of comfort food! I can typically tell a difference in my skin after eating certain things (especially foods high in oil or sugar) and Thanksgiving is, unfortunately, no exception. This is one of my ways to pamper skin and help repair it after a day of feasting on holiday favorites.

To remove makeup and cleanse, I stick to my normal routine. I like to keep my skincare simple and consistent, so even when I'm having a pamper night and using new products or special items, I like to stick to at least part of my routine. I think this helps combat spots and it also makes it easier to tell if something new irritated your skin or caused a breakout.  I use The Body Shop Chamomile Silky Cleansing Oil to remove makeup and then cleanse with Philosophy's Purity. You can check out my nighttime skincare routine here.


If my skin is extra dry, I use this cleanser in place of the Purity or the GinZing Scrub. This is super milky and creamy and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and stripped. It keeps spots at bay but it's gentle and very good for sensitive skin. This doesn't remove makeup very well, so be sure to use a makeup remover of some sort before cleansing with this Clinique Liquid Facial Soap in extra-mild. This is formulated for dry to very dry skin, so it's perfect for my skin during the colder months. Also, if I'm doing a mask that targets breakouts, I usually use this for a few days as those masks tend to be more drying than others. This thoroughly cleans my skin without stripping it and leaving me with dry patches. 


This was the focus of my pamper night: the Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask. Peter Thomas Roth skincare is pretty pricey, but I picked this up in a set from Sephora. It was part of the mini mask magic kit for $20. I love mini masks or sample sets, especially for more expensive products, so I can try them out and decide what I like and don't like, and if it's worth the money. Also, with creams and masks, a little pot of product lasts quite a while. I would definitely say this mini magic kit is worth it - I've loved all the masks so far. This pumpkin enzyme mask claims to resurface skin and act as an at-home chemical peel. It's meant to smooth and revitalize skin while clarifying. I love that you can really tell this is made from pumpkin. It smells like a pumpkin dessert and has pumpkin enzymes that act as the "scrub" agent in this mask. PTR claims that this mask targets "congested" skin, which is exactly how my skin feels after a holiday. Between the makeup, the food, the long days, etc. my skin always feels congested and can use a clarifying and rejuvenating mask. This is a resurfacer and has the word "intensive" in the description, so I would recommend testing it out on a patch of skin before applying. This can definitely be intense - it's a scrub that tingles while it sits on the skin. I didn't experience any discomfort or burning, but the sensation is definitely more intense than a typical scrub or mask. I also think this makes a nice festive and fun gift during the fall, or a good star for a girls' fall-themed pamper night.

After a good exfoliation and a few layers of skin have been sloughed off, I like to moisturize heavily to ensure that my fresh skin stays hydrated. I use my standard Boots No . 7 Beautiful Skin Hydration Mask (featured in many posts). I feel like I have new skin the morning after this pamper routine. I love to try new masks and I thought using this pumpkin mask would be festive and fun, but also clarifying and beneficial for my tired skin. Don't let your skin suffer during the holidays! If anything, treat yourself to even more pamper nights with luxurious products.

What are your favorite products during the holidays? Let me know so I can try them out, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment